Wednesday, April 08, 2009

A Plain Life

I am currently reading a book called "A Plain Life" by Scott Savage. It is about how he and his family changed over from really non-believers to Plain Quakers. It is very interesting to me. The story plays out as Savage goes on a pilgrimage of sorts as he walks to the state capital to turn in his drivers license. His license is about to expire, but he feels like God wants him to make this journey. It is the last thing that ties him to the "modern" world as we know it. Although it is not required of Conservative Quakers, he and his wife chose to have horse and buggy travel instead of having a car. It's hard to give all the details here, but it is an interesting read if you can find it in your library.

I've been thinking about it today and I was thinking to most people going to turn in your license when it's about to expire anyway sounds crazy.... plus walking there. Then I thought of Ben and how he had this huge road trip one time to ask God where he should live. I'm not talking about an hours drive down the road. I'm talking about all over the entire United States he drove. Finally, he just came back to Miami and feeling low. He decided to move to Nashville and then he packed all his things and said goodbye and his car battery split into two pieces when he tried to start the car... so... he stayed in Miami. I'm glad he did. :) It's funny how so many people I know or read about wander... either literally, or in their hearts.

So... I decided to test it out today. I packed Gwen up in her stroller and we took a walk a mile or two down the road to pick up a few things at the store. It was such a beautiful day today, but the cars were drowning out the sound of the little creek and the birds. Gwen and I walked past a bush with blooms on it that smelled like lemon chiffon pie. I broke off a little piece and carried it with me. The sidewalk was closed off by some workmen, but one of them spoke to me and cooed at Gwen and helped us pass. It was nice to have a smile and short conversation with him. He told us that they are having to move all the gas lines because more lanes are being added to the street. I wonder, is all this progress good? We go to the store, talk with the cashier a bit and then make our way home. We see a couple holding hands and smiling. They look in my eyes and we say hello to each other. Gwen waves at the cars and the people in the cars wave back. We get back to dine on pears (her favorite) that we got from the store.

Do I think I want to go carless? Probably not. I mean, there are wonderful things that I'd like to take Gwen to during the day at the library and church that I just couldn't do if I didn't have a car. However, sometimes it's nice just to go on foot. I think I'll try doing that more. It's nice to hear the creeks and the birds and smell the lemon bush sometimes ya know? I don't want to live in the country I don't think... but I want to raise Gwen to appreciate simple things even in the city.

2 comments:

Mean Puppies Inc. said...

I have been thinking lately about how much modern work has nothing tangible to show for it. It's not like when most people were farmers and there was this huge harvest time each year where their backbreaking labor was visible. I think that part of modernity has the potential to really rob us of the appreciate of hard work and the satisfaction of a job well done.

On the other hand, I like progress because it's the result of free people doing what they are free to do - improve their lives and make it easier. I tend to think the only thing that would really make us return to a simple life would be something that would take away personal liberties.

I know that as a free individual I can choose to live a simpler life, but sometimes I feel overwhelmed by how busy the rest of the world is and how much of the world is in competition with me for the hearts of my children.

Unknown said...

some great thought in there Leah. I know what you mean about competition for your child's heart. The way companies market to kids bothers me and don't even get me started on kids menu items. :) This discussion makes me want to put an ax through the television... hum.. that's a visual. :)