
Today my mother-in-law Pam, her friend Chris (a lady) and I went on a day trip. I had heard about this town before I moved to Missouri and was interested in seeing what was there. The town is called Jamesport and it has the largest settlement of Amish people in Missouri. According to my reading, there are about 150 Amish families that live in this town.

I wasn't sure what to expect, but this town was pretty sleepy. I liked this sign reminding English drivers to be careful.

Along the way we saw many deer being raised in fenced areas. I asked an Amish lady about that and she said that they sell them to hunting places so that rich hunters can get their prize deer right then. It sounded a bit contrary to what the Amish are all about I thought. They are beautiful though. We also saw a red fox pup standing out near the road, but it was too quick for me to get a picture of it.

This is where we had lunch. I ordered a turkey sandwich and decided to try a different side... Schnitzel Beans. I was prepared for veal or something in some baked beans, but alas, it was sweet and sour green beans! It wasn't my style of green bean really, but I'm glad I tried it!

This is the center of town. Look at the bustling about town! You know it is a small town when they all give directions from the "4-way", meaning the only 4-way stop sign. I've come a long way baby from Miami... that's for SURE!
I ended up at the end of the day with an Amish cook book, a couple of candles, and a small loaf of banana bread. Life is good.
1 comment:
That's fun! I actually picked up the first book of Abram's Daughters again this week. It's funny re-reading it knowing what's going to happen.
Post a Comment