Monday, July 30, 2007

It Hatched

The last time I was out at Ben's grandparent's place Grandpa brought a cocoon inside the house. You see, Grandma is into cocoons of butterflies and moths (not literally people). She enjoys identifying them and also just watching them. We decided this cocoon was a moth and Grandpa placed the cocoon in a potted plant indoors.


Tonight we went over to visit with them and Grandma and I were having a great conversation when I heard a really loud fluttering noise. I asked her if she heard it and she said, "oh, it's just a bug outside." Just about that time we see this huge thing come flying out and bumping into the walls. I squeal and run down the hall. This next move was really bright on my part... I turned on the bathroom light. So guess where the moth flew? Right toward me! It looked like a bat coming toward me. Terrifying!


This is the end result... the cocoon that the moth came out of, and the moth that came out. Eventually I will put a picture of it with its wings expanded so you can see how pretty and how BIG this thing was. In the meantime, we're waiting for it to die sealed inside one of Grandma's tupperware bowls. (sorry for all the sensitive out there)

No comments: