Sunday, April 15, 2007

England

After the wedding the four of us (Ben's mom Pam, my mom Sue, Ben and I) traveled on into England. On the way we stopped at a ruined abbey called Tintern Abbey. Then we traveled on to a town called Keighly (pronounced Keithly) where we stayed with some Barreth family friends. While we were there we visited the city of York, where Ben went to college. I was very impressed with this town. It has so much history (it dates back to the Romans), and it is also very beautiful. We drove through a part of the country called the Dales to get there. It is full of rolling hills and grazing sheep. There are also plenty of stone walls. These are built without any mortar...the stones are just stacked. There is a certain art to this and not many people know how to do it. Some of the stone walls have been up for hundreds of years. I have to say... this area of the country is beautiful and like looking at a postcard. I loved it!

We also went to London at the end of the trip... and although it is technically in England, I will have to devote a whole other section of the story to it later.


Tintern Abbey









The Shambles. This is a street in York that the buildings almost touch. I'm not sure how they've stayed up for hundreds of years.









York Minster... beautiful! We climbed to the top of it.












One of my favorite pictures from our vacation. This is at a church we stopped at in a town called Linton Falls. Notice the stone walls... no mortar.










The Dales... like a postcard!

2 comments:

Beki Lee said...

Keep the pictures coming! They're great!

Mean Puppies Inc. said...

Wow! Looks just like how I imagine Dickens novels...but much cleaner.