Monday, April 30, 2007

Golden Brown by the Stranglers

This is one of Ben's favorite songs that he introduced to me tonight. I thought it was a really groovy song that has a neat harpsichord part. Neither of us can figure out what the words mean, but hey... it's probably written by a drugged up crazed lunatic in the 60's. Anyway, it's one of those songs you could just listen to over and over and go into a daze. Hope you like it!


5 comments:

Mean Puppies Inc. said...

that's a very curious song, but catchy. I looked up the lyrics and I was hoping the meaning would jump out without having to search online. I thought maybe Golden Brown was the sun as viewed through the dust in the Middle East - since she "stays for a day" and has always headed west. But since the first verse says shes got a texture like the sun, I think it blows my theory. I'll think about it some more.

I'd think more that it was written recently. It doesn't have that "Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds" feel to me. Plus if it was old, I think I would have heard it before. My brother is notorious for digging up little known music.

Mean Puppies Inc. said...

ok, temptation got the best of me - Wikipedia says it's from the early 80s and might be about heroin, hmm. Well it's still catchy. It said the band refuted the heroin theories, but the lead singer also did time in jail for heroin possession. Of course that's Wikipedia and if I wanted to, I could go in and edit the entry. So who knows...

Unknown said...

the mystery continues... I say "golden brown" could be anything you want. "Never a frown, with golden brown"

Beki Lee said...

I say it's definitely about Heroine.....she comes from afar, stays for a day....takes him on all these adventures that he has no control over....he's just tied to her mast....PLUS have you seen the clip? He looks like he's tripping even in the music video!!! BIG give away! that's what i say anway!

Anonymous said...

good point Beki!