Romy Georgia Barreth was born on September 6 weighing 8lb 3oz and measuring 19 1/2 inches. We named her Romy because we knew a little girl in Miami by that name and we always liked her name. It is also our 10th wedding anniversary this year and we went to Rome on our honeymoon. Georgia is Ben's Grandmother and we both love her very much. Ben chose the name this time around.
This was by far my easiest birth. I decided to get induced this time around. I have a theory that there is something connected with my body not wanting to go into labor and my milk being slow to come in. I was also concerned about the size of this baby since I had gestational diabetes (even though I controlled it well with diet).
I went in Thursday evening for a cervical softener gel to be applied. I convinced en to sleep at home that night and thought I would have a peaceful night by myself watching cable before the delivery the next day. Well, think again. I forgot they'd have to monitor the baby and contractions and Romy did not like the pushing in on her little house. She kicked and moved all night which resulted in the nurses having to come in and adjust the monitors frequently not to mention the three attempts at an IV in my hand. (ouch!)
The next day they started the pitocin and it was slow going. Around lunch they broke my water and it was still slow. They put an internal monitor inside of me to measure the strength of my contractions and they upped my dose of pitocin. Then I started to make progress. Once I got my epidural I felt much better! I held off pushing until I could no longer wait and 15 minutes of pushing and she was here. No stitches and very quickly. I didn't know labor could be that way. They put her right on my belly when she came out and she immediately opened her eyes and looked at me. I said to her, "we did it!"
By the way she moved in the womb we thought we were going to get a real firecracker. It turns out so far that she is very pleasant and has a great latch. My milk is slow coming in so we are pumping after feedings and also giving her a little supplementation through a little tube while she is latched on and nursing. It is very time consuming, but at least I get to look at her all night when I am up. Here are some photos.
wink! My mom was there for the birth.
Aunt Beki came to visit!
Getting to know one another.
This is the face I get to look at all night. Think she got my nose?
Going home
A rose Ben bought for me
Home!
I have forgotten what a joy newborns are! She smells so good!
1 comment:
Look at your big family!!! She is gorgeous and I love the name! Congratulations :)
Post a Comment