Saturday, January 01, 2011

Thoughts On Friendship and The New Year

I've been thinking about friendship lately especially since reading the book "Same Kind Of Different As Me."  It's a true story about a black homeless man becoming friends with a rich white guy and his wife that is an awesome believer that dies of cancer and how they all deal with it.  When the white guy (Ron) is getting to know the black guy (Denver), Denver asks Ron what he wants from him.  He said he just wanted to be his friend.  He went on to ask if Ron did what other white guys do when they fish.. catch and release.  He said in his family when they catch a fish they are proud of it, they show it to everyone they know and then they eat it.  Basically, the bottom line is that he didn't want to be a catch and release friend.  He wanted to have a friend for life.

Over the years I have made and remade friendships over and over.  It seems that once you leave an area it's hard to keep in touch.  There are friends that even when we don't talk we still are friends and we pick up right where we left off...but those are rare.  I am now at the place and time when I want a friend for life.  I want deeper friendships now.... I want a friend that knows me, really knows me.  I want friends that I pray with, memorize Scripture with, and kiss their kids.  Not that I didn't want that before... but now I feel even more so I guess.

So, that is one of my resolutions this year.  To be the kind of friend that I would like to have.  I also want to learn to french braid and lose the last 20 lbs that I need to.  (I've lost 25 since July)  I also want to enjoy my kids and celebrate each moment.  Here is a moment from yesterday that was precious to me.

Gwen got up from her nap and went to the top of the stairs and called down to me to go up there and get her and hold her.  I was doing something so I said to her... I'm not coming up there to get you, but I'd love to hold you when you get down the stairs.  Well, she threw a fit at the top of the stairs and it was a battle of the wills for sure.  I won out and she came down stairs and of course I snatched her up and told her how glad I was that she came down and oh, aren't you wonderful and all that.  Then I sat down holding her and brushed away the snot and brushed away the tears and looked at her and said my usual two questions.  I always ask her "who's my girl?" and she replies, "Gwen"... and then I ask her "who's my special girl?" and she replies "Gwen."  But this time was different.  I asked her "who's my girl?" and she said "Gwen" with a little smile on her face and then I started into my second question "who's my spec..." and she put her hand up on my chest and interrupted me by saying "I know mommy... you love Gwen."  Well, my heart did a little melt and I looked her in the face and said "yes, I do.  Very much."  WHAT a sweetie.

2 comments:

Mean Puppies Inc. said...

I am grateful to have you as a friend :)

Unknown said...

and I am grateful for you too Leah!