Friday, October 09, 2009

Play Rhymes for Kids

I've been looking for constructive, educational ways to engage Gwen. I mean besides letting her explore outside in our backyard or bringing her places with me and describing things or just free play in the house. I am getting to the point in my pregnancy when I feel a little encumbered when it comes to getting down in the floor and doing a whole lot... so I found a book in the library with some games that I can play with her in my lap. I also have been reading her poetry some. She loves books, but I feel like she needs a little interactive stuff too. I only have one kid right now so I can think about these things in depth ok? :) When I have two I'm sure I will find it a challenge to just get them both fed. Well... here are some games that Gwen and I enjoy and I thought maybe you'd like them too.

Foxy's Hole

(you ball up your fist with a "hole" on top)
Put your finger in Foxy's hole.
Foxy's not at home. (child puts finger in foxy's hole- the middle of your fist)

Foxy's at the back door, picking on a bone. (gently "nip" baby's finger with your little finger)

Baby's Nap

(mom extends pointer finger) This is baby ready for a nap.
(mom puts pointer finger in child's palm) lay baby down in a loving lap.
(mom closes baby's finger around her pointer) cover baby so he won't peep.
(mom rocks hands back and forth) rock baby till he's fast asleep.

Here Is Baby's Ball

(mom makes ball shape with hands)
Here is Baby's ball, big soft and round.

(mom "hammers" her other hand)
Here is Baby's hammer. See how it can pound.

(mom puts fist with hole up to her lips)
here is Baby's trumpet, tootle-tootle-too.

(mom covers her eyes)
Here is Baby's favorite game. it's called Peek-a-boo!

*I sometimes substitute Gwen's name for Baby in this rhyme.

Giddyap, Horsie, to the fair


(do this one while baby is on lap and bounce on lap)
Giddyap, horsie, to the fair.
What'll we by when we get there?
A penny apple and a penny pear.
Giddyap, horsie, to the fair.

and lastly, this is a song my mother-in-law taught Gwen that she loves. I think you could do it as a rhyme as well.

One, two, three four five (hold up fingers)
once I caught a fish alive (hands together and wiggle like a fish)
six, seven, eight nine ten (hold up fingers)
then I let it go again. (hands extended)

Why did you let it go? (hands still extended)
because it bit my fingers so (I usually pause and pretend to bite her fingers here)
which finger did it bite
this little finger on my right (I hold up my right pinky finger)

5 comments:

John said...

Does your m-i-l do the Teddy in the garden? Our English friend taught it to me:

On baby's palm, draw a circle with your finger and say
"Round and round the garden
Goes the teddy bear"
then hop up the arm and say
"One step, Two step, Tickle you under there!" and tickle under their arm

babies love it and come to ya holding out their little palms

Stacey

Mean Puppies Inc. said...

My dad got us a subscription to High 5 magazine. Annalise is just now really getting into it. It's the preschool version of Highlights and in each issue there is an action rhyme, they have had some really good ones. They also have a poem, a simple craft, a simple recipe, a spotlighted animal, a Spanish/English story, and a hidden picture in each issue - plus a few other stories. I really like it.

I am going to try your rhymes with my kids. I think Annalise especially will really get a kick out of them.

Unknown said...

Yes, Stacey.. my mother-in-law does that rhyme with her quite a lot. Curiously she enjoys doing it to me rather than to her most of all. She enjoys seeing me get "tickled" at the end. I haven't heard of High 5 magazine Leah... that sounds awesome!!

Mean Puppies Inc. said...

I did that Teddy in the garden with both of my kids and they were nuts about it! They both kept holding their palms out and insisting I do it again!

Anonymous said...

I am glad that I am so famous with My
Round and Round the Garden poem...a good friend in the UK taught to us when Becky was little.

Granny Pam