Saturday, October 17, 2009

Tantrums

I participate in this thing called "Parents As Teachers". This lady who has child development degrees comes to the house (FOR FREE) and observes Gwen and gives suggestions of toys she might enjoy and tells me about developmental things I should look for ect. I did not participate with this until Gwen was a year because I just didn't know if I could handle someone coming and giving some critique or some such. I thought I'd be a little overwhelmed or intimidated by it. Since then though, I've gotten tougher skin and I can pitch any idea that I think is contrary to what I want for her and take in the good suggestions. :) The other day she came by and gave me some papers about where a child ages 14-24 months usually is at. One of those papers was on temper tantrums. Here is the first paragraph that I read to Ben tonight as Gwen was having her bath. We both burst out laughing. We have kind of a quirky sense of humor at times.

"Almost surely at some point in your child's development, you will witness a particular behavior known as the temper tantrum. You will recognize it by its many colorful characteristics. Among them are the arched back (if you are holding your child or attempting to restrain her in any way), the ear-shattering screams coming from her wide-open mouth, and the writhing movements of her entire body. Remain calm."

Think that's a good description? HA! Cracked me up.

4 comments:

Mean Puppies Inc. said...

Sounds pretty accurate! what do they advise other than to remain calm?

Unknown said...

Here are the suggestions they have: Ignore, remove child from environment, hold firmly, don't give in to demand, limit discussion, teach ways to cope with frustration, be a good model yourself, continue to create a warm, secure, loving relationship with your child. Sounds good on paper huh? :)

Mean Puppies Inc. said...

They left out, "join child in screaming and writhing".

Stephanie said...

Ignoring and removing child from the environment worked better than others. The biggest thing I learned was not to join in the fit and ignoring them takes away their power (which it is really about anyway - getting their way). And for some reason, 6 year olds will throw a tantrum every now and then :-)