I really like to read about pioneer times. I just like how strong they are and how resourceful they are and I appreciate the wisdom they gained from suffering. If we think we have worries over our kids... well, when you read these books, it gives you a whole new perspective on things. I would like to suggest a series of books that I just finished by Jane Kirkpatrick. They are "A Clearing In The Wild", "A Tendering In The Storm" (I cried and cried reading this one), and finally "A Mending At The Edge." I loved them... and the great thing is they are based on real people that actually lived at one time 4 hours away from where I currently live.
I am now reading a book called "A Lantern In Her Hand" by Bess Streeter Aldrich. It is a fictional story, but I can tell already that it will be a good book. Here is a bit of poetry I found thought provoking.
"Because the road was steep and long,
and through a dark and lonely land,
God set upon my lips a song
and put a lantern in my hand." - Joyce Kilmer
Maybe I'm romanticizing the prairie life a bit... but I love living in the Midwest with all of the history of hard working people that made it through hard times with a song on their lips and a lantern in their hands. I hope I'm that way.
Friday, October 23, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
I tend to romanticize their life some too! I think that's a feeling I got from reading A Clearing in the Wild - that it was somewhat romanticized - in spite of how she described how awful the winters there were. B/c of the Little House books I didn't see how Emma would have had as much down time as she seemed to.
Is A Tendering in the Storm the next in the series? I finished the clearing book a few days ago.
yes, A tendering in the storm is next in the series.
I am under no illusion that prairie life or Amish life is fun. I would have to had to convert to Mennonite! Love me some cars and electricity.
Post a Comment