For those of you that like Indian food or mildly spicy foods... this is a recipe for you. I got this out of a book from the library called "Pennsylvania Dutch Cooking- A Mennonite Community Cookbook". Since when do Mennonite people cook Indian food? I don't know. It was fantastic! Sorry... no pictures taken.
Rice and Curry
1 pound hamburger (I used two)
2 T fat (I used margarine)
2 large onions, diced
1 1/2 tsp curry powder
2 C strained tomatoes (I used canned died tomatoes with green chilies)
4 medium-sized potatoes, diced
1 1/2 C rice, uncooked
6 cups water (1 1/2 C for meat mixture, 4 1/2 for rice)
2 tsp salt
Brown hamburger and onions in the fat. You might want to drain off a bit of the grease if it is quite a bit. I did not drain it because I used very lean beef. Add tomatoes, diced potatoes, curry and salt. Add 1 1/2 C boiling water and cook slowly until potatoes are soft. Cook rice in salt water and drain. Serve curry mixture with the rice. This is good also with chicken instead of beef. Serves 6-8.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
That does sound good - and strange...coming from Mennonites.
Post a Comment