Sunday, August 05, 2007

Missouri and family

The more I live in Missouri, the more I realize that it is a big state!

For all you scholars out there, here are some facts about Missouri that you might not know. (I certainly didn't)

The Missouri State Song is called "Missouri Waltz" and here is an excerpt from the lyrics:

Hush-a-bye, ma baby, slumber time is comin' soon;
Rest yo' head upon my breast, while mommy hums a tune;
The sandman is callin', where shadows are fallin',
While the soft breezes sigh as in days long gone by.

Way down in Missouri where I heard this melody,
When I was a little child on my mommy's knee;
The old folks were hummin', their banjos were strummin'
So sweet and low.

and yes, there is a reason that you don't know the song.





The Missouri state bird- bluebird (by the way, it's also NY's state

bird as well)











The Missouri state flower is the Hawthorn.









The Missouri state tree is the flowering dogwood.







This weekend we went up to St. Joseph, MO for a surprise birthday party. This is Ben with his Grandpa looking like they are having a good time.












We went to church with Ben's Aunt and Uncle, and then we drove through the town of Gower. I thought Gower's town hall deserved a picture. It's the smallest town hall I think I've ever seen. Of course, today I saw a whole family of turkeys on the side of the road and I didn't have the dexterity to take a picture that fast!

No comments: