Today we went to Metar's bar mitzva. This is the first one I've ever been to. Being a Baptist girl, I know nothing about bar mitzva's. Here's what I learned... that "bar mitzva" means son of the covenant. For girls the term is "bat mitzva" and it means daughter of the covenant. Basically the whole ceremony centers on the coming of age for the boy in this case, to take on the responsibility for living the laws of the Torah. Also, now in the synogogue he can read the Torah. Whether you have the party or not, if you are of the Jewish faith, once you turn 13 you are bar mitzvahed.This is Metar making his "I am a man speech". He was nervous, but he did great.

Here are the men hearing the Torah. The women all congregated at the back seperate from the men. I found out I wasn't supposed to take this picture! Woops!

Barreth men being goofy... actually just Ben being goofy.
No comments:
Post a Comment