I've heard these chapter books aren't too hard, and so I picked up one for Gwen at the library. She read the first chapter to me all by herself tonight! At regular intervals she would look over at me and say, "I'm pretty good at this!" It really made my heart glad. I want her to practice her reading before school starts. I found out recently that Gwen will not have Spanish class this year in school. That has made me determined to continue her learning in language at home. My mother-in-law has access through her library to an online resource for learning Spanish, so I will use that. If I could give my kids one skill it would be speaking another language.
Claire is reading a book to Romy.
Gwen reading in bed.
Toys sometimes don't get played with...but my laundry basket does!
our pool is always filled with neighborhood kids. I hope our kids have good memories.
I have been short tempered lately. I became aware of it the other day when Ben gently told me I seem exasperated all the time. I told him I was. :) So my goal for today was just to enjoy the kids... not yell. I read my Bible, prayed for strength, and set off. I did very well until bath time. We'll see how tomorrow goes but I'm trying to be intentional. I heard today on a radio program from a man that daughter died at 21 months from some mysterious illness. He said his daughter had previously scratched a coffee table and he'd been agitated over it. But that night that she died he came home and noticed the scratched table and wished that she could be there to do whatever she'd like to the table. It was a constant reminder of what is truly important. I was moved by his story, and so... I've noticed these following flaws with our house in a different way tonight.









3 comments:
Thanks for sharing the part about the scratched coffee table. That is heartbreaking! Sometimes I get very frustrated with my messy home and other times I worry that I will miss it when the kids are not kids.
My kids love Boxcar Children too!
For Spanish - Google "GPB Salsa", they have a very cute Spanish video series on their website.
The coffee table example is such a good reminder! I am particularly fond of the hole in your wall! :)
We were just talking about kids throwing fits (one 4 year old, one 12 year old, and one 16 year old) at work this morning. I think if we really understood how difficult parenting would be, we would never repopulate the earth. I personally will not miss holes in the walls, dirty walls, clothes on the floor, broken stuff, etc. I enjoy my kids at every age and honestly, more and more the older they get :-) I am SO glad that Gwen has found some books she is "good at reading." Excellent choice mommy! She will get it. Clay did not like to read until the middle of second grade. Chloe liked reading, but would not read anything other than what was assigned or her library book from school until the 4th grade. Now she devours books. Clay loves to read, but very different stuff - he likes books with boys as characters and nonfiction. Do you know how much I now know about Adolf Hitler? Amazing stuff.....she will find her groove. Love you!
Post a Comment