Tuesday, February 05, 2008

Cooking and Flowers



Last night I made "Old Settler Beans" for the first time. I thought I'd share the recipe with you all. I served it as the main dish with cornbread. I think if I were to do it all over I would serve it as a side dish. I got this recipe from Ben's Aunt Dee.




Old Settler Beans




Brown 1/2 lb gr. beef (I used a pound)


1/2 lb bacon (chopped)


1 onion chopped


of course... drain the browned meat!




Add:


1/3 C brown sugar


1/3C white sugar


1/4 C ketchup


1/4 C Barbeque sauce


2T mustard


2 T molasses


1 t salt


1/2 t pepper (I used more)


1 can red kidney beans (drained)


1 can pork and beans (not drained)


1 can butter beans (drained)




Bake 1 hour at 350 degrees.



On a different note... my orchids have never been so happy! Here is one that is opening up at the moment. You can see some little droplets on the stem... those aren't bugs. Those are called "honeydew" and it is a sticky substance the plant produces to tell you it's happy.



This one is STILL blooming!




This one is ready to pop any moment. I'm waiting to see what the blooms will look like. It's been so long for some of these that I don't remember what the blooms look like anymore.




1 comment:

Mean Puppies Inc. said...

Beautiful! You have quite a green thumb! :)